Saturday, December 16, 2006

The MGM B-Zug


The kit I'm working on right now is the MGM 1/72 B-Zug, the Diesel-Electric Tractor used to pull many of the Austro-Hungarian heavies, like the 24cm Kanone M.16.

As always with MGM kits, the subject is exotic but the kit itself is a bit annoying. The finish on some parts are a bit sloppy - you can see the imprints of messy gluing - and on this one I had to redo all the cooling fins on the engine cover, a chore believe me. And there are a lot of small detail changes to be made.

But I come to grow more and more interested in WW1 Softskins, not least for their exotic appearance: there is no mistake in knowing that you are looking at a vehicle from the early days of motor transport!


As you can see above, I've done some careful shading, especially of the cooling fins. It will become a nice-looking model, that will reward you for the effort put in.

2 comments:

Eric said...

Hi Peter,

Nice looking kit. I don't have it yet but it is only a question of time ;-)
I am waiting to see the completed model.
What is the main colour base (brand and reference) ?

All the best
Eric

Landships said...

Thanks Eric!

The base green is Humbrol 150, with the different toll boxes in Humbrol 117 - don't know if the slight difference show up in the photos. As always, all dry-brushing have been done in acrylics.